Saturday, March 7, 2009

Miles' Birthday

I figured I'd write up a post about the day's events. Of course he decided to come on Thursday, after Grandma and Grandpa Chiabotti just drove back north, and on the day daddy was starting his new project at work.

About 1am March 5th, I had a very strong contraction that woke me up. I was always having braxton hicks contractions but this one was long and pretty uncomfortable. After that I slept very little and noticed I was having contractions every 10 min. Finally at 5am I called the Dr and knowing I was at 4-5cm and 90% effaced on Monday she suggested we come in. We woke Andy who was thrilled that his baby brother would come that day. He said "this is my best day ever!" and kissed my tummy. We dropped him off with Ryan and Bri around 5:45am and left for Abbott. It was such a peaceful drive in, not the crazy rushed panic I was so worried about.

We arrived and the put me in "observation" for a few hours. Since I was still at 5cm I was considered un-changed since Monday and not technically in labor. Even though my contractions were now every 4 min (although not very strong or painful). They suggested I walk around. So for 3 hours we walked around Abbott, checking back every 45 to monitor the contractions and his heartbeat. Finally after 10am they checked me and I had made it to 6cm and my amniotic sac was "bulging" so I was admitted. We called Bri who joined us in the labor room. I had a few contractions that hurt but still nothing like "typical" labor pains.

They decided to break my water but offered the epidural first in case things went so fast we didn't have time. Didn't want that! So after an IV placement and an hour of saline I got my epidural. With Andy I was in so much pain from contractions I was unaware of what was going on. This time I was more scared as I was totally aware of the anesthesiologist behind me. But overall, still didn't hurt.

At about 1pm they broke my water and my OB was right. There was A LOT of fluid. I swear my stomach size shrunk by half after. At this point I was feeling pretty good, epidural in place, water broken and nice steady contractions. Andy called from school around 2pm to see if his brother had arrived yet. He sounded so excited I can't imagine he did very well that day. Every once and a while I would notice a stronger contraction and feel some pressure but no pain. A few hours went by and I finally dilated a bit more, they added Pitocin to speed up the last bit and at 4:30 the Dr decided I was ready.

Bri took charge of the camera and video camera and Chris stood by my side. The Dr joked about shift change at 5 and could we be done by then, it was 4:45 (we thought "not possible"). I started pushing (after some coaching, I was pretty numb, after adding a few epidural bumps right before) and then made some quick progress. After about 2 sets of pushing they asked if I wanted to feel the head, he was half out! I'm not sure how many times I pushed but by 4:53 he was out, 8 minutes. The cord was around his neck lightly so the dr did the initial cut, but allowed Chris to reach down and help deliver him and place him on my stomach. As expected Miles looked pretty awful at first, so slimy and blue. But with a quick work up from a nurse he was looking better and placed on my chest. Still no pain :-)

He was pretty calm, just laying there looking at me for a while, very alert. He was able to try out his first meal and bond with daddy and Auntie Bri. We all got cleaned up and Ryan arrived with Andy and Dylan. Andy was very excited to hold his baby brother for the first time. Dylan just wanted to touch everything in the room :-) Ryan looked like a very proud Uncle.

They stayed for a bit and eventually took the boys home (Andy looked exhausted). I had my epidural removed (pulling the tape off my back hurt more than the labor and delivery) and moved to another room.

I was starving and couldn't wait to eat (I hadn't had anything since dinner the night before). We got all settled and checked out, mom and baby were doing great. Miles got a visit from his Grandma and Grandpa Chiabotti after 8 and his first bath around 11 (whew his hair was much cuter and he smelled much better after a bath). We all made it to bed around 1am. But, Miles decided that nursing every hour was a great idea and finally crashed around 6am, just in time for the nurses to do rounds. Then the OB, Pediatrician, Portrait people, and lactation people also made their rounds. He slept allllll day. I firmly decided we would leave asap, I wanted to sleep when he did and not be disturbed by medical personnel.

We left the hospital shortly after Miles turned 1 day old and joined our family at home. Andy was very excited to welcome us with a gift for his baby brother. Dawn had a big dinner made for all and Ryan and Bri joined us with Dylan. We had a great evening celebrating the addition of the newest Chiabotti. I was pretty exhausted and felt like a bit of a zombie. I happily showered and went to bed. Although Miles again preferred to eat at night and sleep most of the day :-)

We have been enjoying our first day at home, welcoming visitors who have come to meet our little sweetie. Ill try to add more photos to this asap. But for now, Mr Miles is starting to wake and I want to enjoy my last bit of quiet before Chris and Andy return from an afternoon at the Children's Museum with the Sauer family.

No comments: